Saturday, April 17, 2010

No art show !?

Ok, when it rains it pours around here. I'm not only having issues with my hours for next year, and a spring cold, but the art show I blogged about several weeks ago, and that I have been having the kids make art for, was just canceled! I just got a call from my contact at the event and they are canceling it because the space they were going to hold the event is flaking out. This does not bode well for me. I have been pushing the 5th-8th graders through the most advanced projects I have ever given them for this art show. For many of them the only thing motivating them to push through the challenge was the idea of having their art on display outside of the school. This is going to cause some major trust issues with a lot of them. Working with the population of students I work with...you don't just have them bust their buts on something and then say...opps sorry! There is only one solution as I see it. I need to find a new venue to show their work and I need to to it fast!

On this pluse side I have a steller collection of Oregon bird colored pencial and watercolor renderings and oregon native plant watercolors framed with french curve desgins.

3 comments:

  1. How I wish I lived in your neck of the woods to help you out. I know lots of places here in Illinois/Indiana. I understand the trust thing with that age kids. Good luck! I hope you find a venue soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try some of the public libraries, coffee shops and larger chain bookstores in your area and see if you can display the artwork there. I know the Barnes and Noble near my school loves it when teachers want to hang artwork in the store - it brings in more customers that could potentially boost store sales!!!

    Good luck finding a new venue - sorry you are having to deal with all this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the library idea. We have one right near the school where the kids go to play games and get books. That seems like a good place to get art up quickly. It turns out another school was going to display art also so we may do a school to school exchange also.

    ReplyDelete